Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German pay out in August, 1854. He claimed section 9-10 which the Village of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon used and the Township was sorted out in 1858 covering 81 square miles. Actually called Clinton, St. Joseph acquired its current name in 1870. Many settlers emerged for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Community was included in 1890. As the township grew, so does the needs of its residents, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their plan in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a prison, install a open public well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and established liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also issues and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was prepared, which is currently the St. Joseph Open fire Dept.
By the early 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the family members after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 reducing the time to milk cows so more time could be spent on crops and pet care. Soon after, World War 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to battle.
After the battle ended people were in a position to get their lives again on the right track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in effect so lots of the farmers considered making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the market crash. While using depression effecting everyone in town, the community needed to stay together more than ever. get more info Through a national give, the Council was able to hire the unemployed to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On December 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially entered the united states into World Battle 2. Rationing tokens were given out because so many items were in short supply. In those days St. here Joseph acquired a inhabitants of around 1050, burning off here 10 heroic soldiers to the conflict. The community remained strong and extended to enhance the Community, adding a drinking water tower in 1949, along with a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph began fluoridating its drinking water supply, and carries on to take action.